Key Stage 3 French
The Modern Foreign Languages curriculum area aims for a high quality of Teaching and Learning. We encourage pupils to increase their language understanding and awareness and strive to develop positive attitudes to the importance of learning foreign languages, whilst promoting an understanding of other cultures and ways of life.
We make a valuable contribution to the requisite skills and attitudes for further study, work and leisure and aim to enable each pupil to reach his or her maximum potential in language learning.
Staff Member Role
- Mrs Sally Morris | Curriculum and Progress Manager
- Mrs Emily Phillips | Teacher of French and Mathematics
KS3 Course Outline
4 hours per fortnight
Year 7 and 8 pupils have French in their form groups, pupils are set in Year 9.
Self, family, pets
School, time, clothes
Free time, sports, hobbies
Weather, house and home
Town, activities in the past
Daily routine, TV, films
Body, illnesses, food and drink
Holidays, world of work
Health and fitness, environment
Assessment – How is work assessed?
- Homework and class work is assessed on a fortnightly or monthly basis as appropriate
- Homework and class work is marked using levels and comments
- Pupils are given a current level and a target level for the end of KS3
Homework – Frequency and type of work
Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9 are expected to spend 20 -30 minutes per week on either a short piece of writing or vocabulary learning. If no specific task is set pupils are expected to spend time revising new language learnt during the week. They are all provided with the log in details for Linguascope and are encouraged to use the beginner section of this website as often as possible.
How can you support your child?
- Support them with homework activities when appropriate and if possible
- Encourage them to use the beginners level of the Linguascope website
Pen, pencil, ruler