Free School Meals
If you are on a low income, Powys can help you with the cost of school meals for any pupil in full time education. They can also help you with clothing costs if you have a child who is moving up to Year 7 at school.
To get free meals in Powys schools, the parents/carers must get one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- If you are an Asylum Seeker getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act.
- State Pension Guaranteed Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance – Income based
- Child Tax Credit - as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out your household income as £16,190 a year or less.
You can also get free school meals if you are entitled to a Working Tax Credit 'run-on' payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week.
If you register for free school meals, even if your child decides never to have a school lunch, you can:
- Save up to £400 a year for each primary school child
- Help your school and other schools in Powys to benefit from funding because you have registered
- Registering for Free School Meals might also qualify you for other help and assistance.
To register is easy and confidential. You don’t have to tell the school.
If your child decides to have the school meal on any day they just have the meal provided. Many schools have systems which mean it is impossible for other pupils to know who is receiving free school meals.
For further information click on the links below: